IPPC Member consultation on draft International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures
The following is provided by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Dear stakeholders and partners,
It is that time of year for you to participate and ensure Canada’s interests are heard! This is an invitation to review and provide comments on the draft International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPMs) recently distributed for country consultation by the Secretariat of the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC).
The IPPC has released the following draft ISPMs that have been approved by the IPPC Standards Committee (SC) for consultation. Please note that the consultation period ends on September 30, 2019.
The 2019 first consultation on the following draft ISPMs is now open until September 30:
The draft ISPMs can be accessed from the IPPC website.
Draft annexes to ISPM 27 (English only)
- Draft annex to ISPM 27: Diagnostic protocol for Striga spp. (2008-009)
Draft annexes to ISPM 28 (English, French & Spanish)
- Draft PT: Irradiation treatment for Bactrocera dorsalis (2017-015)
- Draft PT: Cold treatment for Ceratitis capitata on Prunus avium, Prunus domestica and Prunus persica (2017-022A)
- Draft PT: Cold treatment for Bactrocera tryoni on Prunus avium, Prunus domestica and Prunus persica (2017-022B)
- Draft PT: Cold treatment for Ceratitis capitata on Vitis vinifera (2017-023A)
- Draft PT: Cold treatment for Bactrocera tryoni on Vitis vinifera (2017-023B)
- Draft PT: Irradiation treatment for Bactrocera tau (2017-025)
- Draft PT: Irradiation treatment for Carposina Sasakii (2017-026)
- Draft PT: Irradiation treatment for the genus Anastrepha (2017-031)
The 2019 second and subsequent consultation on the following draft ISPMs is now open until September 30:
Please note that these standards were revised following close consideration of comments submitted during the first consultation. We encourage commenters to consider this when submitting comments for this second consultation. Responses to first consultation comments are recorded in the SC-7 report
- Draft 2018 Amendments to ISPM 5: Glossary of Phytosanitary terms (1994-001)
- Draft Revision of ISPM 8: Determination of pest status in an area (2009-005)
- Draft ISPM: Authorization of entities to perform phytosanitary actions (2014-002)
- Draft ISPM: Requirements for the use of modified atmosphere treatments as phytosanitary measures (2014-006)
Please note that each member country’s government must submit only one set of comments for each standard and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) will be preparing and submitting these comments for Canada. The CFIA must submit Canada’s comments to the IPPC by September 30, 2019. Therefore, to allow sufficient time for collation and interpretation of comments, please submit all comments to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 13, 2019, at the latest.
We will be organizing group workshops in August and will send a second email with details closer to this date. We request that all comments must identify the draft ISPM’s specific paragraph number to which they apply and need to be supported by an explanation of their purpose and suggestions for alternative text where appropriate.
Thank you in advance for your continued contribution. Please forward this e-mail to all your colleagues or persons who may wish to comment. Together we will ensure that Canadian perspectives are captured in the comments being submitted through this process.