Imposing a Surtax on the Importation of Certain Steel Goods (Final Safeguards)
The Final Safeguards Order applies to Heavy Plate and Stainless Steel Wire (goods) imported from all countries except for:
- a) goods originating in Canada;
- b) goods originating in Chile, Columbia, Mexico, Panama, Peru, the Republic of Korea, the United States or Israel or another CIFTA beneficiary; and
- c) goods originating in a World Trade Organization (WTO) Member country that is a beneficiary of the General Preferential Tariff (GPT), as long as the share of imports from such a country does not exceed 3% of total imports of each good, provided that imports from countries accounting for less than 3% of import share do not collectively account for more than 9% of total imports of each good.
Excluded GPT beneficiary countries that qualify for the exception in (c) include Moldova, Pakistan, the Philippines, Vietnam, and Ukraine. These countries have exported steel products to Canada. The complete list is in the Customs Notice.
Final Safeguard Measures Imposed on the Importation of Certain Steel Goods – Customs Notice 19-08
The surtax rate for the period beginning MAY 13 2019 and ending after MAY 12 2020 is 20.00% for HEAVY PLATE
The following goods are excluded:
– all plate in coil form; and
– all plate having a rolled, raised figure at regular intervals on the surface (also known as floor plate).
The surtax rate for the period beginning MAY 13 2019 and ending after MAY 12 2020 is 25.00% for STAINLESS STEEL WIRE
Shipment specific permits issued by Global Affairs will be required at the time of import, otherwise surtax will apply.
Between May 13 2019 to Jun 02 2019 TRQs will be administered on a first-come first-serve basis.
Between June 03 2019 and January 31 2020 TRQs will be administered on an allocation basis.
Applications for a quota allocation will be accepted by Global Affairs Canada between May 10 and May 24, 2019. Said quota allocation, if granted, may be used between June 3, 2019 and January 31, 2020. Applications must be submitted by May 24, 2019.
Quota volumes will be divided into two pools: an allocation pool, available for eligible applicants based on their import history during the reference period, and a residual pool, available on a first-come, first served basis to those who do not hold allocations.
Notice to Importers – Steel Goods (Item 82 on the Import Control List)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE EXISTING SIMA CASES RELATED TO THE IMPORT OF STEEL PLATE, AND IMPORTERS MUST ENSURE THAT THE PROPER AMOUNTS ARE DECLARED TO CBSA.
Measures In Force (STEEL PLATE)
Customs Notice 18-17 (Provisional Safeguard Measures Imposed on the Importation of Certain Steel Goods) example 03 provides details how field 39 of the B3 should be completed where both surtax and anti-dumping and/or countervailing duties area applicable.