Tariffs on Canadian Aluminum Possible
US Trade Representative (USTR) Lighthizer acknowledged last week in a Senate Finance Committee hearing that there have been recent surges in imported steel and aluminum from Canada and Mexico.
Last year, the Trump administration exempted Canada and Mexico from the Section 232 tariffs on steel and aluminum. Within the agreement to lift the Section 232 tariffs, the U.S. said it could levy duties again after it consults with Canada and in the event of a substantial surge beyond historic volumes of trade over a time period.
It is currently unclear if formal notification and consultation are taking place between Canada and the US. If the tariffs are reinstated it will likely be on the heels of the USMCA agreement scheduled to be in-force on July 1.
Lacey Act Form Required on 29 New Tariff Numbers
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced that, beginning October 1st, the form PPQ505 commonly known as the Lacey Declaration, will be required on an additional twenty-nine tariff numbers. These numbers are:
Chapter 33: Essential Oils
- 29.5109—essential oils of cedarwood
- 29.5121—essential oils of linaloe or bois de rose
- 29.5139—essential oils of sandalwood
- 29.5150—essential oils of “other”
Chapter 42: Trucks, Cases and Suitcases
- 29.2000—trunks, cases, and suitcases of wood
- 99.2000—other, of wood, not lined
- 99.3000—other, of wood, lined
Chapter 44: Wood and Articles of Wood
- 12—oriented strand board (OSB)
- 4415—cases, boxes, crates, drums, containers, pallets, box-pallets, etc.
Chapter 92: Musical Instruments
- 90.2000—wind musical instruments: bagpipes
- 90.4080—other (woodwind instruments)
- 90.4060—flutes and piccolos
- 90.0040—musical instruments (fretted string instruments)
- 92—parts and accessories for musical instruments of heading 9202
- 92.8000—parts and accessories for musical instruments
- 99.2000—parts and accessories for bagpipes
- 99.4040—parts and accessories for other woodwind instruments
- 99.8000—parts and accessories for musical instruments of heading 9202, other
Chapter 96: Miscellaneous Manufactured Articles
- 00.5500—monopods, bipods, tripods and similar articles of wood
If you have questions regarding the Lacey Declaration, please contact the U.S. Transition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org